This Christmas season our family is making a Jesse Tree. It is a kind of advent calendar where each day highlights a different Old Testament story leading up to the New Testament birth of Christ (Isaiah 11:1-3, hence the term “Jesse Tree”). Instead of strictly following Catholic and Lutheran models, we are using The Jesus Storybook Bible.
Even though Olivia won’t grasp the entire concept of redemptive history this year, hopefully she’ll understand that Christmas is about Jesus. Kids are capable of understanding a lot more than we think.
Olivia helped me paint a tree (which looks more like a bush) on poster board. Then I attached the words “Happy Birthday Jesus” to the top. Each day we will read a Bible story and hang/ tape a paper ornament symbolizing that story on our tree.
Also, it’s probably very obvious at this point that art is not my strength. At least Olivia got a kick out of it!
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Advent
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Great job - I still haven't found the tree I am looking for. I'm pretty sure they don't make what I want, so I'm on my own with creating it! I look forward to seeing some of your updates with the "ornaments". Also - I really grateful for your encouragement in doing this project! It's so good to be spurred on to love and good works!
We just got that Bible for Daniel. We love it. We just kicked off the advent season yesterday at church with the children leading the worship services. It was GREAT!
We have been looking for something along these lines to do with the kids. Thanks for the great practical idea! Sounds like you all are doing good. We are praying for you.
That is such a great idea! I did something similar with my parents when I was a little girl - and I loved it! So great to see some of those great holiday traditions starting in your family ;)
Post a Comment