It seems to be the buzz in Christian circles today. Don’t settle for “Happy Holidays,” insist on “Merry Christmas!” Outside our circles we note the obsession with political correctness in holiday greetings. One of my favorite holiday ads wishes everyone a “Happy Chrismakuh!” Stores decorate with noncommittal snowmen and snowflakes while a few brave establishments still dare to display Santa and his reindeer.
To be honest, I am not offended the least little bit when a stressed out, over worked, bleary-eyed store clerk wishes me a simple, “Happy Holidays.”
Why? Well, I suppose it has to do with what I believe a Merry Christmas is. A Merry Christmas means celebrating the fact that God was most glorified to set into motion at that moment in time a series of unfathomable events that would secure the eternal salvation of His people. A Merry Christmas means reflecting and meditating on the Truth. Do we really wish people would just flippantly throw that phrase around?
If the extent of what the world at large is celebrating is family, love, and presents, then please- stick to Happy Holidays! If they are reflecting on mental peace and well being, then once again, Happy Holidays!
Let the greeting match the celebration.
“Christmas hath a beauty/ Lovelier than the world can show” – from “Christmas Eve” by Christina Rosetti
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I liked the post. The incarnation of Christ for the purpose of saving His people seems to be a lost part of the Christmas Story.
I definately agree with you. I have been frustrated by the same thing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for the articulation :o)
Post a Comment