Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Saturdays at Our House


First, my apologies for my lengthy hiatus from the blogosphere. I had to pinch myself this morning before I could admit that it was already November! Time flies when your toddler is having fun!

Speaking of, Olivia is watching Elmo's World at the moment. She likes Saturdays because she gets to watch a little more TV, run around in her comfy pajamas all day, and stay at home instead of behaving quietly at the store, other people's homes, etc.

On Saturdays I try to keep things low key. Sunday is anything but a day of rest for us, so it is important not to wear ourselves out the day before!

It took me awhile to figure out why we were always exhausted by the time Sunday rolled around. I had been spending Saturdays catching up on all the things I didn't get done during the week, running errands, and cleaning the house. Bob would have to deal with a tired toddler, a stressed out wife, as well as his final sermon preparation for the next day. It just wasn't right.

While things still may not always be ideal on Saturdays, my focus is different now. Sunday should be the highlight of our week - our opportunity to fellowship and encourage each other spiritually.

So our Saturdays are now spent resting, reading, playing, and preparing our hearts for Sunday. Bob is able to finish preparing for his sermons in peace and quiet. I also lay out our clothes for the next day and make sure the diaper bag is packed.

We don't plan big get-togethers; we don't tackle big projects. I don't cook big meals, run tons of errands, or try to do 4 loads of laundry. After all, I wouldn't want to be bored on Monday, would I?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this picture of Olivia is just too cute! She must be so fun!

love, aunt noreen

jeileenbaylor said...

oh my goodness - that is such a good idea! I totally need to implement that into our household (especially with Madison coming soon). Thanks for the idea!

LMLogan said...

sounds like something I should be doing w/ my saturdays!! glad you came back to the blogging world! we missed you! :)

Sara said...

Hey Janelle,

This inspires me to slow down my Saturdays too! At least try...

Katie Barker said...

Hi Janelle, Somehow, I just read this almost a year later, but it really sounds like such a good mindset! Thanks for sharing. And, I hope you're doin' okay.